Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Bacon Christmas Miracle

With the help of the internet and a really nice librarian named Terry, I have in my possession the bacon recipe from Modernist Cuisine. If you are half as excited as I am about this, you are pretty damn excited my friend. Terry kindly found the page I wanted out the the 6 volumes (a mere 2500 pages), scanned it and then emailed it to me. Now I have to go ingredient hunting. The recipe calls for Fermento.  I wish I knew that last week because I was in Buffalo and could have picked some up. Luckily I have a friend out there that will be able to hook me up so I can avoid shipping charges. The other ingredient I doubt I can find locally is sodium erythorbate. I'll just have to pick a store online and go from there. Everything else is just spices and Cure#1. I've got plenty of Cure#1.

Definitely going to get a whole Berkshire belly from Adventure in Food for this one. This is so awesome. I have been looking for this recipe off and on since the book came out.

Thank you, Terry.

2 comments:

  1. I just got Volume 3 from the library again. If you have any questions about the recipe I'd be happy to look them up. Fermento simulates the tang of a long cured sausage, and that other stuff is a cure accelerator similar to vitamin c. I have never tried it. Good luck, I look forward to your results. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, mac. My scanned page has the bacon recipe and the ingredient portion of the next page for blackstrap molasses ham. Not sure I would have picked those seasonings. If you had time for Easter, this recipe might be worth comparing to the ham you just cured.

    I have the sodium erythorbate already. Fermento is on the way. And Adventure in Food has pork belly in stock. I think there will be bacon curing by next weekend.

    If only I could put some of this energy toward something like painting a room...

    ReplyDelete