Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rib and Pierogi Day 2010

This family festival is also known as Summer in February and was held on Valentine's Day this year. Nothing says romance like gluttony with the family. I'm not sure how the tradition started, but it has been going on for at least 5 years. We were trying to date the first year, but no one was sure. Anyhow, in the middle of February, a large portion of family gets together, ribs and sausage are cooked in a pit over wood coals, leftover Christmas pierogi are fried up, and all the side dishes would comfortably fit in at a summer picnic. Good eats like potato salad, pasta salad and deviled eggs. First, let me introduce Duke. He graciously agreed to host the party at his house.


Here's the pit used to cook the ribs and homemade sausage. Not sure why the picture of the food rotated, but the software won't let me fix it. The ribs were about done so they got moved to the sides when the sausage went on. The darker colored sausage is hot, the lighter rounds are sweet.


Once the ribs were finished, Aunt Carol started frying pierogi.


They get some seasonings and a little paprika to help with the browning.


She did a great job. They were fantastic.


Here's some of the spread. If you left hungry, it was your own fault....

3 comments:

  1. I would like to celebrate this holiday next year. A great addition to winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have "leftover Christmas pierogi"? In my house they never last the meal!

    Summer in February sounds like a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if they count as purely "leftovers." I might have misspoken. In early December, a group gets together and bang out a lot of pierogi. I thought I posted about it, but I didn't. It is a fun morning. The kids are getting old enough to be interested in stuffing them. I like the tradition and I like that the recipe is getting taught to the next two generations. After the pierogi are stuffed, they get boiled, dried and frozen. A large chunk of that batch gets thawed and fried for Christmas Eve. Those that remain frozen, get eaten up at Summer in February.

    ReplyDelete