Tuesday, July 3, 2018

House Beer

I spent Sunday afternoon pretty much neck deep in a pool. Occasionally I’d get out, drink a little beer (stay hydrated, kids) and then get back in the water. For the most part, I don’t drink beer that often. I like beer. Buried in the basement is some homebrew equipment. I made several homemade cases back in the day. Some were good, some ended up being over carbonated and turned into what I would call a “beer flavored spritzer.” Some beers are delicious. Plus, hot weather and beer go together very well. Unfortunately for me, over time I have kind of aged out of beer. Some beers make me very sleepy sometimes followed by a headache and others go straight for the headache. It’s kind of like being hungover from one beer about 3 hours after I drank it. The curling club has Stella on tap – it’s a decent beer (on tap), but a guaranteed headache for me. I spaced Sunday’s beer drinking well enough to avoid any headache. I was a little sleepy around 7, but that might not have been the beer’s fault.

Even though I don’t drink beer regularly, that doesn’t stop me from having some strong opinions. For example, I’m opposed to fruit in beer. if a beer requires a piece of fruit to be added to it to make it drinkable, it’s a crappy beer in my book. Corona and Blue Moon fall in this category for me. And I don’t get the current sour beer trend. I still like to keep at least a six pack around the house in case a guest would enjoy a beer . I needed a beer that:

1. I thought tasted good
2. Doesn’t give me an instant headache
3. Goes well with pizza
4. Is able to be enjoyed by people that are kind of into beer but
5. Not intimidating to someone that just wanted a decent beer – nothing fancy.
 
After some trial and error, I have settled on what I call my House Beer. My House Beer is Bass Pale Ale. It’s a 12 pack I can get in a supermarket. It’s good enough for people that are into beer to enjoy, and it’s not a flavor bomb so people that mostly buy Bud or Coors enjoy a bottle of it too.

Anyone else crazy enough to overthink the 12 pack in their basement fridge? If so, I’d like to know what it is. The right beer probably will not bump the long reigning House Beer, but the it might expand my extremely limited beer list.

7 comments:

  1. Bass seems a little darker and more intense for typical drinkers. I would go with a Yuengling. Or basically any Mexican beer not named Corona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I never thought Bass would be considered dark. I think as the Yuengling label got bigger, their beer got much worse. I haven't had one in a long time.

      Delete
  2. Home brewing is funny. I made some really disgusting stuff in my day... Then I got a bit better. Then I got to the point where I could make very drinkable all-malt brews. Then I stopped. Once I could make good beer I didn't feel the rush of the challenge...

    Anyhow, for a house beer I vote for "nostalgia lagers." I keep Genny red-eyes around usually. It won't please the beer snob, but it is not offensive and most people chuckle when I hand them one. Plus, I will never mind having one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was at your house and you didn't offer me a Genny, I think I'd be disappointed.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, but he could just as easily hand you a Mountain Brew Ice. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curling? Say hello to Matt & Megan.

    I don't think we have the same taste in beer but I want to put in a plug for the limited edition Super Cluster from Lagunitas. Some of the best stuff I've ever had and it's cheap! (Though not as cheap as Genny Creme...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to give it a try. I know I have had some kind of Lagunitas but I don't remember which one.

      Delete