Thursday, August 12, 2010

Prepping for pizza

I'm going to light up the Firdeome tomorrow. First order of business: make some dough. I've read a bunch of recipes online and in books. I'm trying a variation of one I found over at the Forno Bravo website. That's where I drool over brick ovens. Many there say to use an Italian type OO flour. I found a small bag of it at Cardona's. So here's what I did. I dispersed 10 grams of fine sea salt in 500 grams of the OO flour. I added 325 grams of water and a little over a gram of yeast. I mixed it all together with the help of a stand mixer for about 2 minutes. Then I let it sit for 20 minutes. After the 20 minute waite, the stand mixer kneaded the dough for about 10 minutes. I left it on the counter for about 90 minutes. Separated the dough into 4 balls and put them in the fridge for a slow, overnight rise.

The one gram of yeast seemed low, but that was recommend by a guy in California who built an amazing oven. The photos of the food he has prepared give him a very large benefit of the doubt.

If I knew anything about HTML, I'd rotate the next picture. Don't know why that happens. If you put your right ear on your right shoulder, you will see the neatly organized and pre-measured ingredients on a clutter filled counted in my trashed kitchen.

 
Here is a very wet dough. It didn't look very we to me, but then I tried to pick it up.  It's wet.


Ready for the fridge.



Tomorrow, there will be fire.... and a fire extinguisher nearby. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment