Monday, August 2, 2010

Destroying a perfectly good grill

There are a few things I troll Craigslist looking to find on the cheap. The list is pretty much 3 things.

1. a 10 inch wet saw good for bricks (if I have the saw I might as well build the oven)
2. pipe (the cow fence needs mending and pipe makes good posts)
3. and I type in Weber looking for a grill to help push my brother-in-law further into a charcoal grill obsession.

What can I say, I'm an enabler. This week I hit the jackpot. A friend of a friend has a brand new dirt cheap 22.5" Weber grill for my brother-in-law. He won it playing golf. Perfect. But I also saw a $30 used grill that turned out to be located about a mile from my house. Now that would be perfect for making a Firedome. It even sounds exciting. (Photo borrowed from the Weber Cam Blog - hopefully without any offense)


Earlier this afternoon, I picked up some firebrick splits. I'm going to use that as my cooking surface. I'm also going to try and shape the door differently. In brick oven design, the door is close to 63% of the dome height. I'll measure again, but I think it was about 4.5 inches. Hopefully that will be big enough to work with. Things on the to-do list: borrow an angle grinder to cut the door, get some hinges and a some kind of door handle (I think the smaller door will need some help staying open), and get to work destroying a perfectly good grill.

2 comments:

  1. Offense? Shit, I'm so thrilled anyone reads my blog I'm ecstatic. I'm also impressed as hell with the wet saw and bricks! In a rush, but can't wait to check back in on the development. I'm starting in on fuel changes soon after Summer travel slows down. Thanks for the continued development!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a wet saw...yet. I split that brick with a brick splitter from Harbor Freight. I wanted to try it out. A saw would be the way to go if there were a lot of cuts to make. Some day I'm going to build that oven. But for now, this is a very nice tide-me-over.

    ReplyDelete