Tuesday, March 2, 2010

La Technique


What attracted me to the book was that it is more about cooking techniques as opposed to a list of recipes. Lately, I have been very interested in learning how to do more in the kitchen. I subscribe to a few cooking magazines, and found the articles on "how to do something" much more interesting than "here's a list of ingredients, gather them and then mix them together in this order" recipes. It's the difference between crafting and assembling.

La Technique was out of print and re-released combine with La Method. But, again for some reason, I got it in my head that I wanted see an original. No luck at the library. So, I was off to ebay. Surprisingly, La Technique was often on the auction block. Winning bids for the original hard copy versions were in the mid $40 range plus shipping. Too expensive, especially since the reprint was $15 at Overstock.com. I kept bidding, and I eventually won a paperback copy of the book delivered to my door for a little under $20. I really enjoyed going through it and can see myself referencing it for years to come. The book is filled with great information. It covers everything from folding napkins to breaking down a leg of lamb. Plus,
Technique 110: Saucisson et Saucisse (Salami and Sausage) includes a method for tying sausage. Perhaps I won't spend an hour tying up 5 pounds of salami next time. And at some point in time, I will be able to flute a mushroom. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday...it's lucky Technique 13.

Here's a weird thing: whenever I am reading the book, I read it with his voice, complete with French accent, in my head. Luckily I'm not reading it out loud.

4 comments:

  1. I never realized he had a lisp until watching him and Julia Child cook together.

    Most recently, it was making salads and hilarious to see Jacques trying to get Julia to add a little more flavor to her salads. It didn't go over well, but it was great to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just saw that one. He couldn't believe she wasn't going to keep the garlic he cut up. He also looked like he preferred red wine vinegar to lemon juice.

    Can't get the accent out of my head once I pick up the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that too! Whenever I'm cooking, the voice in my head narrates my actions in an Eric Ripert/Jacques Pepin hybrid accent. I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drew - if there are two of us here, there must be a lot more out there. A long time ago on Saturday Night Live, A. Whitney Brown said, "If you are that one-in-a-million kind of guy, there are a thousand of you in China."

    ReplyDelete