Thursday, October 14, 2010

It Reuben-ed

Today seemed like the only day to have Ruebens. The kids are getting into more and more stuff. Tuesday was gymnastics. Wednesday was a meeting for Girl Scouts. And Friday is Family Fun Night at the school. So here's what I did with my Reuben window of opportunity. During lunch today, I ran over to Nino's just off Central to get a loaf of rye bread. I think their rye is one of the best locally. You can do better closer to the city though. Then I ran home and put a store bought corned beef in the crock pot filled with water to simmer (making my own corned beef is on the to-do list). Then I ran back to work. The stage was set.

I came home to a house smelling of corned beef. Ladies, you might want to think about bottling that - screw new car smell. I took a bunch of the homemade sauerkraut and put it in a pot with some of the bring, a little water and some cider vinegar to simmer. Once cooked, it tasted like good sauerkraut. Uncooked, it is still tasty, but more like a sauerkraut slaw if that makes any sense. Another rotated picture - no idea why.



I took the corned beef out of the water to rest a little and started to whip up a Russian dressing. Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, pepper, granulated garlic and relish got mixed up. Mayo and ketchup were then whisked in. Sliced some Jarlsberg and the corned beef and it was go time. I took most of the crust off of one for the kids.








They were good. Damn good. It might have to Reuben again some time.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like it turned out well. Sometimes if you don't get the acid balance right the cabbage won't ferment completely and become soft and be like slaw. Did the right thing with the apple cider vinegar and cooking it. I've also found shredding the cabbage very fine helps the process along nicely.

    ReplyDelete