Friday, March 22, 2013

Caffeine Confession

I am a complete and total caffeine wimp. I used to drink caffeinated drinks all the time. Loved iced tea. Southern sweet tea is the greatest.

When I first started working at my current job, everyone went downstairs to grab a coffee around 10:00. I followed. We'd hang out for a few minutes, shoot the breeze and lady making the coffee brewed really good coffee. For about 2 months straight I had a 10:00 coffee. Until one fateful morning, I was scheduled to attend a 10:00 meeting and missed my coffee. The ensuing caffeine headache lasted 3 days. After that, I switched to decaf and choose my caffeinated moments more carefully. Like at work after being up all night with a baby or the times I had to change up my schedule and work the overnight shift.

Earlier this week I had to attend a few afternoon presentations. They were interesting enough and the presenters were engaging. But it was around 2:30, and the lights in the room were dimmed and I found myself fighting to stay awake. I had a couple head-snap-was-I-just-snoring? moments. Outside the presentation room in between talks there was a big bucket of ice cold Pepsi. Personally, if I'm picking soda I'd go Coke but beggars can't be choosers. I drank about 8 ounces of Pepsi. Wow. That perked me right up. I'd say even made me a little jittery.

And that is why skinny cans of Red Bull and those little bottles 5 Hour Energy freak me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment