Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Proud

I just got back from Utica. Earlier this morning, I was in a seminar on Magnetic Particle Testing (it was actually more interesting than it sounds) when my phone vibrated. I looked at it and the call was coming from the elementary school.

When you get an unexpected call like that, you get an "oh no" feeling. I've gotten them in the past and for the most part everything is fine.

Nurse: Your daughter fell during recess and banged up her knee. She's fine, but I just wanted to call and let you know.

or

Nurse: Your daughter is complaining her ear hurts. I don't see anything wrong but there is a lot of wax.
Me: Thank you. That happens every so often. We'll flush her ear tonight.

That kind of stuff. But you never know if it is going to be "You need to come get her NOW and bring her to a doctor" or even worse. Plus, I'm in Utica. I can't be there in 10 minutes. I never think these thoughts until I get an unexpected phone call with the school's caller ID on your cell phone.

It wasn't the nurse. Today's call was from the Kindergarten teacher. She was calling to let me know that she had nominated my youngest daughter for an award and that Casey had won this year's Kindergarten Friendship Award. She went on to describe the award and why my daughter deserved to win. It was quite an impressive list. Casey brought home a nice award to hang up in her room plus her name is going to get engraved on another award that stays in the school lobby.

Like the post title says, proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment