The PTA and the Girl Scouts were both running magazine drives at the same time earlier this year. In an effort to pad the girls magazine sales, I ordered a 2 year subscription to Food and Wine. I had never looked at an issue before receiving one in the mail. Many years ago, I had a subscription to Bon Appetite. My first Food and Wine looked pretty much the same as those did. Seemed like every page had an ad and each issue could be counted on for 1 or 2 tidbits that were interesting.
The first issue I got had two "OK" articles, no recipes or techniques worth trying, and a crap-ton of ads. Even some of the articles were ads. You know the kind, write ups for $40 salad bowls you shouldn't have to live without. Typically, I save every food magazine I buy. This one went out in last weeks recycling. 'Nough said.
My second issue recently came. This one has some better articles and one recipe that I might actually try sometime. Jonathan Waxman gave a list of his top 10 obsessions. He also supplied a really good looking beef stroganoff recipe. This issue was also very Top Chef centric. They had their own little Top Chef magazine inside the larger magazine. Personally, I watch the show. If you don't, this issue would have been a waste of time.
One of the features in the Top Chef insert was a trivia quiz. I aced it, but the Just Desserts spinoff question was a lucky guess. Not sure if I should be proud of that. Multiple choice always helps. Phairhead...hope you studied....
1. On Top Chef, Season 4, Spike Mendelsohn was told to pack his knives after using what ingredient?
a. canned peas
b. frozen scallops
c. freeze dried ice cream
d. smoked salmon
2. On Top Chef Just Desserts, Season 1, which cheftestants were members of Team Diva? (I dunno)
a. Zac, Yigit, Heather H
b. Erika, Tim, Eric
c. Morgan, Heather C, Yigit
d. Seth, Maleka, Zac
3. On the Top Chef Season 8 Finale, Mike Isabella made _______, which the judges went nuts over.
a. noodle kugel
b. pepperoni sauce
c. stuffed peppers
d. fish tacos
4. On Top Chef Season 5, cheftestants cooked the dishes for Gail Simmon's _______.
a. birthday party
b. book release party
c. bachelorette party
d. bridal shower
5. On Top Chef Season 7, Alex Reznik was accused of stealing Ed Cotton's ______.
a. pea puree
b. chicken stock (seriously? no reason to steal his box of Swanson's)
c. whipped cream
6. Who was the first-ever guest judge to appear on Top Chef Season 1, Episode 1?
a. Ozzy Osbourne
b. Big Bird
c. Hubert Keller
d. Jacques Pepin
7. What celebrity did the cheftestants cook vegan dishes for on Top Chef Season 6?
a. Natalie Portman
b. Alicia Silverstone
8. What flavor of ice cream did Richard Blais serve on the Top Chef Season 8 finale?
a. froot loop
b. foie gras
c. chocolate chip
d. cheddar cheese
Pencils down, hands up. You aced it, didn't you?
Only 22 more issues of my subscription, but who's counting?