Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Clean Tool Is A Happy Tool

That's what my father-in-law has always said about tools. I think with a minor modification, that mantra applies to knives. A sharp knife, if a happy knife. In the past I have brought knives to Different Drummer's Kitchen to get them sharpened. But I started procrastinating bringing knives there and while the knives were sharpened very well, the quality came at a cost. So, just before my birthday, my wife and kids were given a subtle hint. I wanted the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Here's a shot of the Sharpmaker.

I used it on all of my knives in mid-October. There was a very noticeable difference in the sharpness of the knifes. Tonight, I hit the knives I go to the most often.

I spent a little over 20 minutes sharpening these 5 knives. When I'm done sharpening, I think I will be making it a tradition to shred a piece of paper. I am always impressed how easily the sharp knife cuts the paper compared to duller blade 20 minutes earlier. And besides being proof of a job well done, it's kind of fun.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo, pretty! My knives are also getting dull again. Hmm, what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albany Jane- if you want, I could sharpen a few for you. It would have to wait a little while though. The next two weeks at work are going to be busy.

    If you were looking for something more professional, Paul Parker - formerly of Chez Sophie, was sharpening knives before heading to France. Not sure when he is leaving though. Here's a link to him:

    http://www.chezsophie.com/newsletter.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll totally take you up on a knife sharpening offer! Obvs, once "the season" starts getting a little less insane. Lemme know!

    ReplyDelete